Information We Collect
When you create an account and use our Service, we collect the following types of information from you:
- Contact information such as your email address;
- Demographics information such as what country you are in; what your language preferences are; your age and gender;
- Payment data such as credit card information and PayPal account information ; and
- Any other information, such as profile picture, videos, content, and bio, you provide us.
If you create an Account using, or otherwise connect your Account to, your Facebook account, we will also collect information provided to us by Facebook including for example your: name; email address; birthday; geographic location; interests; profile picture; gender; networks; user ID; list of friends; and any information you have made public on your Facebook account.
We automatically collect information about how you use our services, for example, pages you have viewed, the television shows, movies, music videos or other content that you view or favorite, subtitles or segments of content that you edit, genres you prefer, and searches you make. We also collect certain technical information about your device including your Internet protocol address, geo-location information (city and country), your browser type, language and identifying information, your operating system and application version, device types, device model and manufacturer, device identifiers, and your device operating system type and version.
We use local shared objects, also known as "Flash cookies,” to store your preferences or to display content based upon what you view on our websites to personalize your visit. Third parties may also provide certain features on our websites, collect information about your Web browsing activities, and display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity using Flash cookies to collect and store information. Flash cookies are different from other cookies because of the amount of, type of, and way in which data is stored. To learn about privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html#117118 (or in the EU http://www.youronlinechoices.com/).
Sharing Of Your Information
The Viki Services may allow you to connect and share your actions, comments, content, profile, and information publicly or with other people. You may control some of the categories of personal information shared via your profile from the account settings menu on the Site. Please be mindful of your own privacy needs as you choose who to connect with and what to share and make public. We cannot control the privacy or security of information you choose to make public or share with others.
How Viki Uses Your Information
Viki generally uses your information to:
- Facilitate the creation of and secure your account on our network;
- Identify you as a user in our system;
- Provide, personalize, and improve the Services;
- Communicate with you about your use of the Services;
- Develop new products and services,
- Customize the advertising you view and recommend content;
- Fulfill your requests;
- Identify the comments you post;
- Send newsletters, surveys, offers and promotional materials related to the Services and for other marketing purposes of Viki;
- Protect, investigate, and prevent potentially fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activities;
- Protect our rights and the rights of other users; and
We use your payment information to charge you for paid content or memberships and subscriptions that you request. We may also use your information to verify your geographic location. We may use your geographic location data (city and country) to personalize our Service, to recommend content, determine whether the content you have requested is available in your location. We also aggregate and anonymize all information we collect. We may use or share your aggregated and anonymized data for any purposes allowed by applicable law.
How Viki Discloses Your Information
We may share your information as follows:
- We may share your personal information with your consent or at your direction.
- We may also share your information with others who perform services on our behalf.
- We may disclose your information if we believe we are required to do so by law, or to comply with a court order, judicial or other government subpoena, or warrant.
- We also may disclose your information if we believe doing so is appropriate or necessary to prevent any liability, or fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or to protect Viki and our Services; or any rights, property, or personal safety of Viki or others.
- In the event that Viki is acquired by or merged with another company or involved in any other business deal (or negotiation of a business deal) involving sale or transfer of all or part of our business or assets, we may transfer or assign your information as part of the transaction. Finally, in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, information may be transferred as a business asset.
We may also share aggregated and anonymized data with our partners, advertisers and other third parties. For example, we may tell studios how many times a particular episode of a television series was watched and by which demographics.
Third Party Advertisers
Viki takes commercially reasonable steps to help protect your Information against loss, misuse and unauthorized access, or disclosure. No company can fully prevent security risks, however. To help protect yourself and your information, choose a unique password for our Services and do not use a password on our Services that you would use on any other website or online service.
If you believe that Viki has not adhered to this Statement, please contact Viki by e-mail at email@example.com. We will do our best to address your concerns. If you feel that your complaint has been addressed incompletely, we invite you to let us know for further investigation. If you and Viki are unable to reach a resolution to the dispute, you and Viki will settle the dispute exclusively under the rules of the American Arbitration Association (www.adr.org).
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Viki by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations. You may also send requests about your personal information, including changes to your contact preferences, changes to or deletions of your information or content you post, and requests to opt-out of sharing your personal information with third parties by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that deletion of your information or content does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted on the Services.
Viki gives you certain choices about how we collect personally identifiable information as described in this Policy. But we may not recognize or respond to your Web browser’s “do not track” signal and other mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third-party Web sites or online services. Most Web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Site including certain opt-out cookies. Cookie management tools provided by your browser usually will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html#117118 (or in the EU http://www.youronlinechoices.com/).
Viki Contact Information