I've been a professional journalist (cinema, dance and music critic), text editor and translator (of novels, essays, screenplays, theatrical plays and more) for more than four decades. My working languages are Italian, Greek, English, and French. I also understand Spanish and some basic German. I am currently starting with Korean.
And - in case you didn't notice - I'm a cat person.
While translating, moderating or editing, my rule is: "While being as faithful as possible to the source language, is the output something that a native speaker would reasonably say? Or does it sound like Martian?" I am known to recite lines out loud to check whether they sound natural in the target language.
I have also completed the Ninja Segmenting Academy in September2016, and am now ready for segmenting work too, in Korean dramas and films.
Community Support & Ideas (new)
(Don't mind this, it's for myself, because viki has buried it behind many clicks)
My reviews on Viki.com
Ms Temper & Nam Jung Gi - Ballerino - Oh My Ghostess - Pasta - Whatcha Wearin'?, Age of Youth , Bring it On Ghost, Sunny, My Secret Romance
INFO FOR WHOEVER WISHES TO BE IN MY TEAM
- You must of course understand English well, but most importantly you should be able to write correctly in the target language.
- You are expected to research whatever you don't know and to double check your translation before turning it in.
- You are expected to correct your own spelling/formatting mistakes and
- You must be comfortable with me giving feedback (explaining mistakes and why I changed them). None of us is perfect, but willingness to improve is greatly appreciated.
For those who want, I offer free Skype tutoring. This is correcting together with full explanation. (No need to see each other on video, we just talk while I share my screen). So far the feedback has been overwhelming.
RESOURCES FOR SUBTITLERS
My own work:
- Linee guida per la traduzione italiana. Un documento google da visionare e tenere sempre aperto mentre si traduce la propria parte.
- Guida per il nuovo traduttore. Un documento google con i primi passi come traduttore.
- Modi di dire inglesi e come (non) tradurli - un documento google che spero vi sia utile
- Insulti italiani - quali non vanno bene per le traduzioni, e quali invece si possono mettere al loro posto
ENGLISH AND GENERAL
- English subbing and editing guidelines For English Teams. This was based on gwm808's English guidelines, revised and expanded by me in March 2017
- Korean profanities and slang - a document compiled by me - don't visit if you are young and innocent
- Korean reference - a document compiled by me (appellatives, office ranks, food, school years/ages, job titles, police and army ranks etc.
- Medical glossary: anatomy, conditions, tools, drugs, hospital positions. (Acronym - English - explanation, Italian and Greek)
Nothing comes from nothing. I have been inspired by many people in making those reference documents. I am deeply indebted to them:
mahoula who first gave me her own written guidelines in Greek when I was just starting,
cgwm808 whose English guidelines I studied again and again when I first came and were the foundation for my own and who privately shared her observations on translation,
ajumma2 whose medical, historical and legal lists, although aimed at Ko-En subbers, provided the starting basis for my own and helped me a lot with everything related to Korean culture,
piranna who first showed me a French spreadsheet and opened my eyes to the wonderful world of google spreadsheets for teams.
sophie2you and gripstar_385 whose cultural notes and explanations taught me a lot of things I didn't know.
Thank you, all!
Resources by other people
- General translation guidelines by senior viki editor cgwm808 (In English)
- Guide to grammar and writing
- Grammar Rules An incredibly useful resource for punctuation etc.
- Guide de traduction française par Kobolt Charlie40 et Guilitoy
- Règles de traduction françaises par Kawaiie
- BBC subtitling rules
- Ninja Segmenting & Subtitling Academy
- Blind Idiot Translation and a nice example of the results
Favourite K-dramas and J-dramas I recommend
Misaeng (Incomplete Life), Memory, Jewel in the Palace - It's OK, That's Love - Oh My Ghostess - My Love from the Star - Pinocchio - Second Last Love Japanese version, Love Rain, Rooftop Prince - Soulmate - Madame Antoine - I Need Romance 3 - Five Children - Ms Temper & Nam Young Gi (except for the slapstick parts) - Witch's Romance - Jackpot - Twenty Again, W (first 8 episodes)
Favourite Films & Drama Specials
Spellbound, Watcha Wearin', Amore Mio (4-part drama special, available on YT) - Page Turner - Postman to Heaven (Japanese film, on YT) - Virgin Snow (Japanese film, on YT) - The Dirge Singer (KBS drama special, on YT) - Bride in Sneakers
Favourite Korean actors:
- Ji Sung (“Protect the Boss”, “Secret”, “Kill Me, Heal Me”, “Entertainer”)
- Nam Gung Min (Dear Fair Lady Gong Shim, The Girl who sees Smells, "Remember")
- Jang Geun Suk (“Mary Stayed Out All Night”, “Love Rain”, "You're Beautiful", “Beautiful Man”, "You're my Pet" “Jackpot”)
- Lee Jong Suk (“Secret Garden.”,“I Hear Your Voice”,“Doctor Stranger”, “Pinocchio”, W)
- Lee Sun Gyun ("Coffee Prince", "Pasta", 'My Wife is having an Affair this Week")
and then (in no particular order):
- Lee Je Hoon (Tomorrow with you)
- Park Seo Joon (“A Witch’s Romance",“Kill Me, Heal Me”, “She Was Pretty”)
- Yoo Seung Ho (“Master of Study”,“Warrior Baek Dong Soo”, “Arang and the Magistrate”, “Imaginary Cat”, “Remember”)
- Lee Sang Yeob (“The Innocent Man”, “A Little Love Never Hurts” “House of Bluebird”, “Signal” “Master: God of Noodles”, "While You Were Sleeping")
- Jo In Sung ("It's Okay, That's Love")
- Jun Ji (“My Love From the Star”)
- Han Ji-min (Rooftop Prince,Hyde, Jekyll, Me)
- Gong Hyo-JIn (Pasta, Producer, It's Okay, That's Love)
- Kim Youjung (The Dirge Singer)
- Choi Ji Woo ("Twenty Again", "Woman with a Suitcase")
- Kim Yoo Jung ("The Dirge Singer", "Moonlight Drawn by Clouds")
- Shin Min Ah (Tomorrow With You)
- Noh Hee Kyung ("Padam, Padam", That Winter, The Wind Blows, It's ok, That's Love, Dear My Friends)
- Park Ji-eun (My Love from the Star, Producer, Legend of the Blue Sea,
- Yoon Kyung-ah (Master of Study, Brain, Medical Top Team, Five Children)
- Noh Hee-kyung (Padam Padam, That Winter, the Wind Blows, It's Okay, That's Love, The Most Beautiful Goodbye in the World,Lie, Did We Really Love?, Sad Temptation, Foolish Love, Solitude, In More Beautiful Than a Flower, Goodbye Solo, Worlds Within)
- Song Jae-Jung (W, The Three Musketeers, Nine: Nine Times Time Travel, Queen In-Hyeon's Man, Coffee House, High Kick!)