In this video, I will be showing you how to make Earl Grey Cream Puffs. No one can resist a crispy cream puff that is creamy on the inside and bursts with the aroma of earl grey!
Ingredients for the Earl Grey Pastry Cream
2 Earl Grey Tea Bags
3 Egg Yolks
25g Cake Flour
200ml Heavy Cream or Double Cream
Ingredients for the Craquelin
85g Unsalted Butter
100g Cake Flour
Ingredients for the Choux Pastry
50g Unsalted Butter
75g Cake Flour
Recipe for the Earl Grey Cream
1) Add the egg yolks, sugar and cake flour in a bowl and mix well. I used cake flour but you can use all-purpose flour, just no bread flour.
2) Simmer milk and add earl grey tea bags to infuse them in the heat. This is our earl grey milk. Earl grey is optional, so any black tea will work.
3) Slowly add earl grey milk to (1) and mix well. Earl grey milk shouldn't be too hot or it'll cook the yolks.
4) Quickly cook mixture (3) in a pot and constantly stir until it thickens. Cover and let cool. Stir quickly so it doesn't stick to the pan and be careful not to overcook.
5) Whip the heavy cream and mix with earl grey cream until completely cooled.
Recipe for the Craquelin
1) Soften the butter kept at room temperature, add and mix the sugar and cake flour.
2) Make the dough into a ball, put in a bag and roll it to 3mm thickness and freeze. Use it after panning the choux. Never take it out ahead of time, or it'll melt.
Recipe for the Choux Pastry
1) Boil water, cubed butter and salt in a pot. Turn off the heat once butter is melted and add cake flour and mix with a spatula.
2) Once flour is completely incorporated, turn on the heat again until a thin coat forms on the bottom of the pot.
3) Place the dough in a bowl and slowly add beaten egg in thirds and mix well. I prefer the dough consistency to be thick enough to form a peak with a spatula. Cool the dough until lukewarm or the egg will cook.
4) Transfer the pastry into a piping bag and pipe into 3~3.5cm sized balls and take the craquelin, cut into circles, and place on the pastry. I used a cookie cutter that is 3cm diameter.
5) Preheat oven at 180C and bake for 20~25 minutes. Temperature and baking time may vary due to the type of oven and be careful not to open the oven in the middle, or the choux will sink.
6) Completely chill the choux and stuff the earl grey cream to finish!