Today, I made scones for the first time in a long while. I put coffee in the batter, and it was so great with the coffee aroma.
150g Cake Flour
1tsp (5g) Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
2g Instant Coffee
1Tbsp (15ml) Hot Water
80g Chocolate Chips
1 Egg Yolk
A Little Milk
1) Blend cake flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and butter in a food processor until powdered. If mixing by hand without food processor, rub flour and diced butter together until crumbs.
2) In a bowl, mix the instant coffee powder and hot water. If you don’t want coffee, reduce or leave it out.
3) In a bowl, add dry mixture (1), milk and coffee (2) and mix just until dry ingredients are well combined. Then add chocolate chips and fold in a few times. Mix them quick & roughly for crisp scones.
4) Put the batter in a bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5) Divide batter into quarters and brush the batter with egg wash.
6) Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 15~20 minutes.
Enjoy with tea!