Today, I made eclairs with pistachio cream. Pistachio is my favorite eclair flavor! The eclair process is difficult, but you can do it! Good luck!
Ingredients for Choux Pastry
80ml Milk+80ml Water or 160ml Water
70g Unsalted Butter
100g Sifted Cake Flour
Ingredients for Pistachio Cream
120g Unsalted Butter
50g Pistachio Paste
5 Egg Yolks
20g Cake Flour (I used cake flour but you can use all-purpose flour; just not bread flour)
20g Corn Starch
1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
I tweaked the recipe from the book La Patisserie by Marianne Magnier-Moreno. Makes 10~12 eclairs.
Recipe for Pistachio Cream
1) In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, sugar, salt, cake flour and corn starch in order.
2) Bring milk and vanilla extract to mild simmer. (Don’t boil it.)
3) Slowly add the milk to (1) egg yolks mixture and pour the into pot. Cook on low heat, stirring until thickened or creamy.
4) Remove from the heat and add butter, a little at a time, and mix well.
5) Cover and let completely cool.
6) Before using the chilled cream (5), gently fold it to soften. Add pistachio paste and mix well.
Recipe for Choux Pastry
1) In a pot, place milk+water (or 160ml water), salt, sugar and butter. Boil until butter is melted.
2) Add sifted cake flour and mix with a spatula until a thin coat forms on the pot and the dough forms a ball. When the dough is undercooked or overcooked, it won't rise.
3) Place the dough in a bowl and cool until lukewarm (to about body temperature). If the dough is too hot, eggs will cook and not puff up.
4) Add egg, one at a time, and mix well.
5) Transfer the pastry into a piping bag and pipe thick lines of pastry. Spray the entire pan and smooth the tips of eclairs with wet finger.
6) Bake in preheated oven at 150C for 45~50 minutes or until golden brown. Temperature and baking time may vary due to type of the oven. And be careful not to open the oven in the middle, or the choux will sink.
Recipe for the Eclairs
1) Completely chill the choux and fill with the pistachio cream to finish.
2) Dip in melted chocolate and sprinkle crushed pistachios. You can use fondant instead of chocolate.