Today’s menu is French Onion Soup. These days, it has been quite chilly. So I felt like some hearty soup. So I made onion soup as requested by so many of my viewers. The onion soup needs very few ingredients, but it’s so hard to make. Caramelizing the onions is a lot of work, but it’s worth it. You can use dashida (Korean beef stock powder) if you have it. Try it!
Ingredients (3~4 servings)
3 Large Onions
4~5Tbsp Unsalted Butter or Oil
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1~2Tbsp Chopped Garlic
100ml White Wine (*optional)
1 Cube of Beef Bullion (or vegetable or chicken stock)
6 Slices of Baguette
Grated Gruyere Cheese
1) Thinly slice the onions.
2) Melt butter in a pot, add onion and pepper and sauté for about 30 minutes until browned.
3) Add the flour and keep sautéing.
4) Add chopped garlic, thyme and white wine and keep sautéing.
5) Add water and beef bullion and keep simmering for about 30 minutes.
6) While the soup simmers, cut the baguette into 2cm thick slices.
7) Put the soup in the soup bowl, put the baguette slices on top, and sprinkle the cheese.
8) Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 5~10 minutes or until cheese is melted.