Crowdsourced premium video site gets bought for global expansion by the Amazon of Japan.
Razmig Hovaghimian, chief executive officer of Viki, talks about the company's online distribution of translated television and video materials.
I think Viki's real power is as a content pipe sending shows to bigger players that it has unlocked from behind the language barrier.
What's interesting about Viki is that the model allows content owners to open up to new international markets.
Viki, the Singapore-based web startup pools the linguistic talents of thousands of its users to help push world television content into markets historically impenetrable to all...
Their efforts enable Viki to bring the videos to markets outside their home countries and develop an international fan base...
Viki's community, which includes tens of thousands of people around the world, operates much the way Wikipedia's does.
Viki provides an opportunity to extend their reach and monetisation into these global markets, with the subtitling a particularly effective method...
Over a billion videos viewed and nearly 250 million words translated, Viki uniquely brings global prime-time entertainment...
- Forbes Primetime TV Shows That Flopped Find International Success On Viki
- Fast Company Inside the Billion-Dollar Play to Bring Japanese Cool to the World
- Good Morning America How Marlee Matlin Helped Force Streaming Video Closed Captions Into Digital Age
- CNET Japan Viki Founder and CEO at Japan's New Economy Summit
- Tech In Asia From Failed Pizza Maker to Founder of Viki
- TheNextWeb 5 Favorite Start Ups at Mobile World Congress
- BuzzFeed Why You Should Celebrate Black Day with Viki and Eat Your Kimchi
- CNBC Is Singapore the Next Silicon Valley?
- Wall Street Journal Singapore Aims to Become Southeast Asia's Silicon Valley
- NY Daily News Viki suggests foreign films for Valentine's movies
- TechCrunch Viki to Launch in Japan
- Yahoo News! Over 26 million viewers watch videos on Viki monthly, and it is still growing fast
- e27 66% of Viewers Watch Viki on Mobile in SEA, Indonesia Top Country
- GigaOm Viki Sees Huge Mobile Growth 65% of Viewers on Phones or Tablets
- All Things D Viki in Multi Year Deal with Baidu to Bring TV Shows to China
- The Economist Tech Start Ups A Cambrian Moment
- The Hollywood Reporter Crowdsourced Online Video Site Viki
- Financial Times Digital Innovation for Social Change
- The Next Web Rakuten-owned video site Viki announces branded channels, a big step towards making more money
- C21Media Viki hosts Asian, Lat Am nets
- GigaOM After getting acquired for $200 million, Viki is plotting global growth
- OnScreenAsia MIPCOM: Viki launches 'Brand Channels' for broadcasters and content providers
- AllthingsD Exclusive: Japan's Rakuten Acquires Viki Video Site
- Techcrunch Rakuten Acquires Viki to Strengthen Digital Content Offerings
- Techcrunch Video Site Viki Adds Blake Krikorian And Dave Goldberg As Its Newest Strategic Investors As It Passes 400M Words In Its Crowdsourced Subtitle Catalog
- The Next Web Viki Hits 10 Million Mobile App Downloads, Up Nearly 7-fold From a Year Ago
Falling SkiesReigns Supreme in China for Online TV Site Viki
- Business Times Online TV suits up and brings knuckle dusters to the fight
- Television Asia Plus Research Report: Increasingly Mobile
- The National Brace for an Era of Global TV
- The Next Web Global video site Viki is bringing social back, as it reintroduces improved real-time commenting system
- ZDNet S’Pore Startup Finds Niche in Crowdsourcing Content
From crowdsourced subtitles to
Hulu for rest of the world
- The Korea Times Viki Spreads Global Content
- CNN Money Viki Doubles Down on Content Arbitrage with Asian TV and Movie Deals
- Techcrunch - Viki, the Hulu for Foreign Language Content, Revamps Site, Upgrades Subtitling Technology to Scale Up Users
- WorldScreen Venevision International Does Deal with Viki
- Deadline Hollywood Telenovelas Sell, Venevision Inks Viki Deal
- SaigonDaily Viki partners TV Asahi to Bring Programing Global
- e27 Importance of Mobile Strategy: 30% of Viki Video Views Now Mobile
- Variety Viki Cozies Up to NBCU to Bring Hollywood Content to SEA
- GigaOM Global TV Site Viki Widens Reach with Amazon Instant
- Chosun Ilbo 싸이 신화 뒤에 100만명의 그들이 있었다
- The Wall Street Journal Breaking Down Communication Barriers
- TechCrunch Viki Climbs The Great Firewall, Signs with ‘China’s Facebook’ Renren
- Bloomberg Viki CEO Hovaghimian on Launching in China
- Reuters Singapore startup Viki aims to take local TV global
- MTV Geek Classic Anime 'The Rose of Versailles' To Begin Streaming via Viki
- The Next Web Otaku Rejoice! Viki is Taking Its Anime Worldwide on YouTube and Hulu
- Business Insider Gangnam Style Big in Silicon Valley Right Now
- Yahoo! Finance First Person: Cutting Out Cable Has Actually Expanded Our Entertainment Options
- The Wall Street Journal Asian Innovation Award Finalists Named
- Anime News Network Viki Feature: Making History, Rose of Versailles
- Yahoo! Indonesia Gandeng Microsoft, Viki tawarkan konten TV Premium
- CNET Hands-on: Samsung Smart Hub Featuring Viki
- DongA Treasures Contents Translate into 150 Languages...Aims for Global Sharing
- Chosunilbo Global Video Site Viki Provides IU and Brown Eyed Girls Contents
- Billboard Magazine K-Pop Panel at Music Matters
- TechCrunch BBC Worldwide Extends Its Partnership With Video Site Viki To Cover Advertising
- Anime News Network Interview: Razmig Hovaghimian CEO and Co-Founder Viki.com
- Business Insider Is This Simple Feature the Future of Television?
- PaidContent Korean Drama ‘Playful Kiss’ Flopped Globally But Hit Globally
- DailyTekk Video Revolution: 100+ Ways to Watch and Create TV, Film and Web Video
- CNET Asia Samsung’s New TV App Targets K-Pop Fans and Movie Buffs
- Straits Times Innovations for Smarter Living
- Anime News Network Viki Streams Black Jack 21, Oniisama E, Master of Epic, Waimo-kun
- Anime News Network Viki Site Streams Leiji Matsumoto’s Ozma Anime Worldwide
- China Business News Weekly 字幕组无国
- Southern Weekend- China Viki：字幕版的维基百科
- Wall Street Journal Singapore Start-Up Sees Goldmine in Foreign-Language TV
- TechCrunch Andreessen Horowitz, BBC, Greylock Put $20 Million in International Video Site Viki
- TechCrunch International Video Site Viki Debuts iPhone App, Will Partner With Samsung for Android
- C21Media Splash Gives Viki Celeb Coverage
- TechCrunch Approaching 10M Unique Visitors, International Video Site Viki Signs Deals with BBC, Netflix
- The Korea Times Viki: The Future of TV
- Fortune Can Singapore Engineer Creativity?
- SG Entrepreneurs Singapore’s top 30 business brands on Facebook: Viki at #1
- METRO Viki: A Global Hub for Video Distribution
- Scobelizer A Talk With CEO of Viki
- NPR Startup Viki Users Web, Volunteers to Subtitle Films
- JoongAng Daily Viki Brings a Host of Subtitled Films to the Web
- TechCrunch Viki Raises $4.3 Million from VC All-Stars to Translate the World’s Video
- AllThingsD Viki Raises Millions for Web Video From Around the World